The Places I've Been: Chateau Chantemerle


The Places I've Been

A spot to preserve my memories

Chateau Chantemerle

Here at language school, we are off every Wednesday and many Saturdays. It's good to break up the learning so that we don't get burned out, but I mostly appreciate the chances to have whole days to explore the amazing region of France that we live in.
This past Saturday I went with a classmate and his 9 year old son to Chateau Chantemerle. It's not typical to this region in that it hasn't been preserved and restored like most of the chateaus of the Dukes of Savoie. This chateau actually predates the Dukes; the original structure was built in the 12th century. It was built as a place of protection for nobles as well as a place to watch the traffic through the valley so that no transit taxes left their pockets. Chantemerle is built high up on a hill above the little town of Bathie, just southeast of Albertville. I love this chateau! It is surrounded by woods, and the fall colors are in full force here. The 10 minute hike up to the ruins is greatly enhanced by the crunching of fallen, slightly faded leaves under my feet. And yes, it is techinically in ruins, but I like it that way. It lets my imagination wander to what it might have been like to build and live in this chateau during it's heyday. Nothing is restored or recreated for me, so I get to restore and recreate it in my mind. If Chantemerle was in the States, it would no doubt be a national monument that cost 10 bucks to visit. Here in Savoie, it's just another old 12th century chateau above a sleepy valley with mountains towering all around. This place needs further exploring, so I'll be heading back sometime soon to hike the hills, let the leaves crunch under my Merrells, and imagine life as a 12th century noble...
« Home | Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment